- The agro-food industry is the second largest economic sector in the European Union (EU), employing over 48 million people, and it is worth some €750 ($875) billion a year to the economy.
- Food cannot bear health claims unless these claims have been scientifically proven and authorized by the European Commission.
- The EU’s animal disease eradication policy has helped to reduce the annual number of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) cases from 2,124 to 18 in the last decade.
- As a result of the EU having introduced Salmonella control programs for poultry flocks, the number of cases of individual human Salmonella enteritidisdropped by 60% between 2007 and 2011.
- The EU is a world leader in seed production: 60% of the world exports in seeds and plant reproductive material originates in the EU.
(Source: Matthew Delly, The Riverside Company, www.riversidecompany.com)